“Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them — every day begin the task anew.” -Saint Francis de Sales
We all know the saying “calories in, calories out” in order to lose weight, but sometimes you need to utilize other methods of weight loss, especially natural ones, in order to lose weight. Applying these natural tips to your life can help you bring permanent and positive change to your everyday life. Let’s walk through these tips together to bring a more effortless weight loss lifestyle to you. Let’s throw out the fads and pursue more positive ways together.
What “Natural” Means
There are many different types of natural treatment options. The term “natural” simply means “without chemical medicine,” and this opens up hundreds of different doors that you can choose from to help you reduce your weight naturally. Here are some basic steps to begin your weight loss journey:
Amazing Tips for Natural Healthy Weight Loss
#1 – Recognize the need
Once you start to realize that there is a need for something it helps you to make choices that stick. Once you realize the need, it’s time to start setting some realistic goals. Try breaking down your biggest goals into smaller goals, which will make them quicker to attain.
“At least three times every day take a moment and ask yourself: What is really important? Have the wisdom and the courage to build your life around your answer.” -Lee Jampolsky
#2 – Start recording everything
Record what you eat, when you sleep and how long, how much water you drink, and what exercise you do each day. Keep a log for 3-5 days. This will give you a few days of data to look at and observe your patterns. Consistent sleep, sufficient water, daily exercise, and the amount and quality of your food matters. Tracking this will start to give you a better idea of areas you need to focus on, and also probably give you a big reality check as to what you are really doing with your body. During this process start doing some research on how many calories you should be consuming. Break that down into what your meals should look like and what your snacks should look like.
#3 – Goals
Focus on short term fitness goals while completing daily exercises.
“Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” – Tony Robbins
Make some goals for this journey! Focus on these areas:
• Water Intake
• Sleep Goals
• Exercise Goals
If you make these goals, focus on them, and work hard to achieve and get to where you want, you will soon see that you will hit other goals that aren’t listed above, like losing inches, dropping pounds, moving more, etc.
#4 – Plan Your Meals – What are you eating?
In step #2 we talked about the importance of starting to track everything you eat and drink. Doing this gives you a better view of your “why’s” and “what’s. You can see what you have been eating and ingesting and can probably get a better idea of why you aren’t losing the weight you want to. Remember that excess calorie will turn into excess weight. A great way to help you figure out how many calories will be consuming every day is through meal planning. Meal planning can be detailed or simple depending on what you need and what works for you. If your diet is unbalanced, make an effort to fix that quickly. Yes, supplements help but try to get all that you need naturally!
Steps to take:
1. Start by seeing what you already currently have in your pantry, freezer, and refrigerator.
2. Decide how you want to eat. Examples: Gluten Free, Dairy Free, No extra sugars, Keto, etc.
3. Look through recipes online if you need ideas (Google, Pinterest, etc.) You can find a lot of great recipes from blogs and sites without having to pay for a new cookbook.
4. Next, you can choose if you want to do weekly meal plans or monthly meal plans. Overall weekly is generally easier to handle for shopping for fresh produce, but we understand that some families have to do it monthly for budget reasons. However, whatever works best for you and your family is what you should do. No matter what it is, you can still plan healthy and wonderful meals to eat. For 1, 2, 4, 8, etc.
5. Once you have gotten your plans and recipes together, go through the calendar of meals and recipes and write down ALL the ingredients you are missing. Remember this list won’t always be as big as it will be at the start. Spices last a while, and if you choose to buy some items in bulk you will have them around for longer periods of time.
Some people like to plan their meals all out on a Sunday and prep everything. This is a great idea for having those healthy snacks and meals ready to go so you aren’t tempted to eat out or get super hungry.
Having those fruits and vegetable cut up and at your fingertips will help you be more successful in losing weight naturally. Also having meat already cooked and ready for meals may be the one thing that helps you be the most successful. So, give it some thought and try it out. See what works out best for you and your success.
Enjoy an occasional treat, once a week. BUT never let it be an unhealthy week, or unhealthy month, or unhealthy vacation!
Now you have your meal plan. Now it’s time to go grocery shopping and make your meal plan work for you. Stick with it. Give it a shot without going off it for one week, one month, etc., and watch as progress happens!
Things to consider:
1. Avoid refined sugar:
– When we eat sugar-laden goods we sabotage healthy weight loss. Our bodies like to store the sugar for later… Much later…
– Sugar is an addictive substance. Our bodies think we need it, so we crave it, even though sugar makes us unhappy, sad, etc. Remember, you may feel happy when you ingest it but it will leave you in a slump once the “high” from it wears off.
2. Plan for healthy snacks
– We all get hungry. It’s better to plan for it. Have a snack in your drawer at work, your refrigerator, your pantry, your car, and your gym bag!
– Have your fruits, vegetables, and protein planned. It’s a challenge to get in your daily amounts needed for fruits and vegetables. Having them prepped, ready, and planned out will help make you successful!
– Keeping yourself well fed will help you to avoid cravings, which usually lead to eating too much when you are all due to a sudden hunger.
3. Maintain a healthy blood sugar level.
– When we eat well and consistently without making our blood sugar spike, we won’t have the crashes and rushes that sabotage us.
#5 – Increase Your Water Intake
Our bodies thrive on water. Without enough our body has to reduce its own water content to get what it needs, which is definitely not healthy.
Keep a water bottle with you at all times and drink from it often. It should be your drink of choice! If you need a change then don’t forget to add your favorite fruit, herb, or cucumbers!
Water helps flush toxins from our body. These toxins can just be sitting in our body and need help in order to get out. Drinking extra water after a hard workout can also help our muscles and tissues recover.
When working to naturally reduce your weight it is better to choose water and eliminate other drinks that may be artificial, sugar-filled, and not good for you. Some good drinks to get rid of immediately would be any soda or drinks containing sugar, even juices.
Another great piece of water advice is to drink one full 8oz glass of water before every meal. Most of the time when we feel hungry it is just because we need more water and we are dehydrated. If you’re looking for something other than water to drink, then consider green tea. It is known to help accelerate weight loss and boost your metabolism.
In general, it is said to drink half your body weight in ounces. You may find you need more, especially depending on your activity level, what climate you live in, and how hot it is outside.
You can increase your water intake by carrying a water bottle with you. You can also change it up by adding fresh fruit and veggies to your water in order to make it taste different and sometimes better. You can buy a bottle that has a filter on it so no matter where you are you can filter out any flavors or impurities that you may have in your water.
#6 – Watch Your Sleep Habits
Keeping consistent schedules and getting adequate sleep helps in making good choices, having the energy your body needs to do its job well, keeps you focused, energized and happy to stay on focus with what tasks you have ahead.
#7 – Increase your Exercise
Exercise is a key part of helping reduce weight. Pick something you love and do it. Do it regularly and with enthusiasm! Remember everybody is different so no one set of “rules” are going to be the same. Start by doing anything for at least 15 minutes. If you can, try up to 45 minutes.
Invest in the right tools. Good shoes, great music, comfortable quality clothes!
Have a goal to exercise at least 6 days a week. If you only have a workout program that does a few days a week add walking into the rest of your days.
A few great ways to get some calories burned and the heart rate up are:
• Walking – You can walk anywhere. You don’t need any fancy equipment. A decent pair of shoes and you are good. You can walk inside your home if you need to. You can walk in your neighborhood, or you can go to the park. Some of your local schools might even have a track type surface you can walk around.
• Running – Another activity that can be done anywhere. No special equipment needed. Burns more calories than walking but can be tougher on the body and not easy to do without building up to it.
• Swimming – a great non-impact exercise. You will need access to a pool and have the required swimwear. A great cardiovascular exercise. Good on the joints. Helps to build muscles in your body.
• Biking – doesn’t require a ton of special equipment. A simple and comfortable bike will work for general riding. If you decide you love it and decide to get into mountain biking or races you will have to invest some money into the type of bike that works best and any additional equipment, but for the regular looking for a good workout a simple bike indoor or outdoor will work. If you choose to go outdoor obviously weather can be a factor. You can choose to get an indoor trainer for your bicycle if you have a few months out of the year that are consistently difficult to be out in. Thankfully this is still an activity that is easily done year-round so there are no good excuses not to do it.
• Jump Roping – a great inexpensive way to get your heart rate up and get a good exercise session in. Jumping rope is also a great coordination exercise for everyone. There is a joint impact involved so it may not be for everyone, but it can be a great workout. Also adding push and sit-ups to this could be a great high-intensity interval workout.
#8 – Incorporate Good Supplements
Making sure you are getting the right vitamins and minerals can help your body function and run well. Many people are deficient in different things and never realize it. Once they get the extra they need either through food, sunshine, or supplements they will find that they function so much better. This is something to consider talking with your health care provider about.
Supplements that would be worth considering:
• A good plant-based multivitamin. These can go a long way. Stay away from synthetic ones. Look for one that is plant-based. You will get the most out of it.
• Omega 3 – This is a wonderful oil that many people don’t get. You can get this from eating fish. If you aren’t a huge fish fan the supplement is a good option for you. Although getting it from the original source is always best.
• Vitamin D – This one is a good one to have your doctor check on. Depending on where you live, and what time of year it is you may get low on. It is essential for good health.
#9 – Incorporate Essential Oils
Essential oils can be a great addition to your natural way of weight loss. Essential oils help in so many different ways. They are known for their ability to affect your mood. They can be a calming too or an energizing tool. Essential oils are a great tool for people looking to lose weight naturally because of all the psychological issues that seem to affect people when they are trying to be more healthy. Things like emotional eating, junk food cravings fatigue, and decreased motivation. Things that help you with weight loss are having a faster metabolism and a healthy digestive system. Combine these essential oils with a healthy lifestyle.
– Grapefruit essential oil – is known for helping to increase your metabolism and fat burning in your body. You can rub grapefruit essential oil on your wrists, chest, temples, and just under you nose to help with cravings and curb hunger. Grapefruit essential oil has also been known to help with cellulite because it is known as an effective diuretic which will help with water retention. It is also known to stimulate the lymphatic system. It’s a powerful anti-inflammatory.
– Cinnamon essential oil is known for its ability to help control blood sugar. So it’s really helpful for those sweet tooth eaters.
o A great way to take advantage of using cinnamon is in a diffuser. Add a few drops of cinnamon oil to your diffuser. Makes the house smell great and boost your mood and helps with snacking.
– Lemon Essential Oil – can help dissolve fat. Great for mental and physical health! Boosts mood by energizing mentally.
o Can be applied topically. Blend lemon with a carrier oil and massage into the areas that have cellulite build up. Helps remove toxins from our bodies.
– Bergamot essential oil – wakes you up, clears your mind. Great for the mental days where you feel unmotivated or defeated!
o Helps to increase your energy levels and clear and improve your mind. Great tool for weight loss because of its powerful mental help.
o Add a few drops of oil in your shower and cover the drain. Inhale deeply to get the full medicinal benefits, get refreshed and prepare your mind and body.
#10 – Make a Plan That Works for You
When making a plan to lose weight naturally. Making a plan that works specifically for your time, your ways is key. Not one person’s plan is going to work for everybody. You can take points and key from one and work it into your life, you may need to create specific plans for certain areas for your life. If you try something for a few weeks and keep realizing it isn’t working for you and need to do something different. DO IT! Don’t feel bad for the need to change things that work for you. Your end goal is still the same. To become healthier, you. To lose weight naturally without drugs, chemicals or unhealthy manners.
Start at the beginning. Go through each step and make it work for you. Stay focused on what you are looking to accomplished. Don’t let mistakes, rough afternoons or bad moods get in your way. Above you will find all the tools to combat each one of those naturally. Take care of yourself.
#11 – Probiotics
Probiotics can be very helpful in promoting healthy digestions and immunity in our bodies. Probiotics are microorganisms that are introduced to the body. Without them, you can have digestive issues, skin issues, and immunity issues. Sadly our world has taken a lot of the good probiotics out of our foods and in some cases put antibiotics into some of our foods. Adding probiotics help to build our immune system, improve digestions, increase energy, help our skin to be healthier, help with weight loss and many more things. They help bring good bacteria into your body. They may be also effective in treating and helping to prevent urinary tract infections. Probiotics help to stop the bad bacteria that is taking over the good bacteria by helping to restore the good bacteria. You can get good probiotics in many ways. Kombucha has been around a long time and is known to include benefits like digestive support, increased energy, and liver detoxification. Yogurt is a great source of probiotics. Be sure to buy a high-quality yogurt. Things to look for: from sheep and goats milk is best, that the animals are grass-fed and that it is organic. There are many ways to get good probiotics into your system. Those are just a few!
General Guidelines for Essential Oil
o Many oils are very potent and can damage your skin. Instead, mix a few drops with a carrier oil like coconut or almond oil before applying it topically to your skin. These carrier oils have a neutral scent and will dilute the more powerful essential oils to the point where they can be applied topically.
o Topical Application: Be sure to avoid applying essential oils to sensitive areas like your ears, around your eyes and mouth, and anywhere you have broken or damaged skin.
Rub the oil onto your neck, forehead, temples, chest, abdomen, arms, legs, or the bottoms of your feet to feel the oil’s benefits.
o Aromatic Use:
Essential oil diffusers have become a popular trend in home decor. Ultrasonic diffusers release a hydrating mist into the room that contains the essential oil of your choice. This is an easy way to use your essential oils because all it requires you to do is breathe.
o Essential oils are the compounds that are extracted from the bark, flowers, leaves, stems, roots, and other parts of plants.
o It is also recommended that people carry out an allergy test before using essential oils, as they can cause irritation.
o The chemicals in essential oils can interact with the body through being absorbed through the skin into the bloodstream or stimulating areas of the brain through inhalation.
o Applying essential oils to the skin may cause an allergic reaction, skin irritation, and sun sensitivity in some people, so the oils must first be mixed with carrier oil
o It is recommended that children, pregnant women, and breastfeeding women avoid using essential oils, as it is not yet known the effect that they may have on them.
o Anyone considering using essential oils should speak to a doctor or aromatherapies to discuss the potential benefits and risks. There is some evidence that essential oils do work, and if they do no harm, might improve the effectiveness of other treatment approaches or reduce symptoms.